Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

WE have a retail shop in Preston for the last 6 years We had…

Customer Question
WE have a retail...

WE have a retail shop in Preston for the last 6 years We had a lease in place but did not renew the lease as the owner would not repair the roof and we had many floods over 4 years

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Finally they renewed the roof but are trying to force us to rent the back part of the shop which in very run down we have been on a month to month and are willing to sign a new lease but they are insisting by phone that we have to take the lot

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

About 6 months ago we said we wanted a 10x10 and would give them an offer for the back residence if the price was reasonable but we really dont need it

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

As we are a specialized tobacco store that only sells electronic cigaretts we can not transfer the permit to a new location

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/5/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Landlord cannot force a lease for space you don’t want. You can sign for what you agree on or continue month to month for the agreed space. Either side can end the tenancy but tenant lately has leverage due to difficulty of finding a new tenant and landlord not wanting vacancy.
Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!