Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I live in a mobile home and a water company hired a drilling…

Customer Question
I live in a...

I live in a mobile home and a water company hired a drilling company to drill a new well and for one year or more they drilled night and day and while drilling my home shook and now it is so un-level that the nails are popping out of the home on the outside. Since it was months ago is there any recourse I can take. They want over a $1,000 to re -level it. the water company is suing the drilling company for drilling to low.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Pilot point texas 76258

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No not from me. but I am sure the water people did

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am 74 years of age and live on an acreage

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/4/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 6 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response.

ok

Yes, you have recourse available to you. You can sue them in Small Claims Court or a higher court depending on the amount of damages. However, one issue you are going to have is that you are going to have to have an expert who can testify that the drilling caused the problems and also the amount it will cost to repair. What I would be concerned about is that there will be additional costs in the future since releveling the house now may be a temporary fix if the house continues to settle due to the drilling.

While usually would not make this recommendation on a case likely to be heard in Small Claims Court you may want to visit with a local attorney and get their views on using an expert in the court, what they would charge to represent you and whether they believe you can recover the costs of their fees and the expert fees as well as the damages to your home.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.