Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My condo board has said I cannot feed or leave my garage…

Customer Question
Second opinion] My condo...

Second opinion] My condo board has said I cannot feed or leave my garage door open for my 4 feral cats I feed and shelter. Because they may transmit disease and parasites to other pets in the condos. I never see any other pets that the condo owners have!

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They are saying the cats are wild, not true. They are seeking shelter in open garages which was never a problem before.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/4/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

.

ok
Real Estate Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this? Are you asking if your HOA can enforce this type of rule?

will I get in trouble if I keep my garage door open about 5 inches from 10pm to 4am. I want these cats to be warm.

Thank you
What you describing, the HOA would have authority to enforce this rule...that is, the HOA can enforce this rule, and if you do not comply with the rule, the HOA can sanction you (can impose fines)

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that the HOA can not enforce this rule but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil

I received this letter from the Condo Board. I feed and shelter 3 Feral cats who are quite tame. They love me and climb all over me. I feed them on my porch and leave my garage open 5 inches from 10Pm to4AM where they have heated beds to protect them from the cold Michigan winter. The board has said they are wild and seeking shelter in open garages. They want our garages to be closed. They want me to refrain from feeding the cats. They pose a health risk to other pets in the condos. I have never seen a condo owner with a pet outside except one. There are no condo owners who have pets that are outside. I know as I walk my dog three times a day for one mile. My problem is I have spent a great deal of money on making my garage suitable for these cats and want them to come in on cold days. There were no complaints for 6 months now they are ganging up on me and bullying me! I am 70 years old.
I don't mind feeding them down the street aways, but I want shelter for them. Can You help?

sorry...I do not understand what you mean "can you help"...I can not represent you...did you have more questions?