Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My new neighbor put his house on our line moved the propert…

Customer Question
My new neighbor put...

My new neighbor put his house on our line moved the propert marker in his favor by 10 ft.. surveyor came out corrected it back..now he has put a camera on his house right at the line pointing at our house and property. Is this legal?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Tenn

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We are on rent to own land and he wants this land and is causing problems for us with the company we rent from. He is telling a bunch of lies and we have paperwk and pics to back us but he is friends with the owner. I am 100 percent disabled and my husband is 95 percent disabled vet. If we could move we would..but we can't and the stress is causing mini strokes and bringing on Parkinson symptoms from my brain injuries

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/4/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

now he has put a camera on his house right at the line pointing at our house and property. Is this legal?

.

If he has the cameras pointing towards your house so as to record any activity outside, then yes, that is legal as a person has no reasonable expectation of privacy when they are outside.

.

However, if they are pointing their camera so as to record what is going on inside your house, that could be an invasion of privacy and even violate "peeping Tom" laws and you could file a criminal complaint and/or take civil action and sue him to force him to move the cameras.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Hello again,
.
I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.
.
Did you have any further questions I can help with?
.
.
Thanks much