Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Can a person to purchase your house that you rent raise your…

Customer Question
Can a person to...

Can a person to purchase your house that you rent raise your rent by $1000 without any notice and what are my rights about that

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Can a person to purchase your house that you rent raise your rent by $1000 without any notice and what are my rights about thatNy

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Ny

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/4/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Richard, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Richard, Lawyer

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good morning. Can you provide me just a bit more information? Are you within a written lease term? Or, are you a month to month tenant? Thank you!

No leasejust bought the house not too long ago but I was paying 1500 now he wants 2500 I paid him lunch but nothing is in writing and he wants to charge me for the heat and on top of that

Thanks for following up. He cannot change the terms immediately. As a month to month tenancy, either of you can terminate the lease by giving the other 30 days written notice. Any rent increase or change in terms is the equivalent of terminating the existing tenancy and making an offer for a new tenancy. As such, he must give you 30 days written notice of any change in your tenancy terms. You then have the right to accept the terms or terminate the tenancy. If you remain, then you would be deemed to have accepted the new terms. But, no changes can be instituted until at least 30 days after you receive the written notice of any change. The new owner cannot institute the new terms immediately.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Now can I cancel this

Yes, you have no obligation to continue with any membership. No worries. :)

OK can you send me my money back now that's not helping me have a good day

You'll have to contact customer service. Your money remains as a deposit and has never been applied to this question. Therefore, you'll need to ask customer service to refund your deposit.