Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I own a small apt complex in Georgia. one tenant is week to…

Customer Question
I own a small...

I own a small apt complex in Georgia. one tenant is week to week. I pay the utilities and the furniture is mine.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Georgia. there is no security deposit and the tenant is several weeks behind. the tenant has 2 dogs and numerous people living in the unit. What I the simpliest way to get the tenanr out?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nothing I can think of.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/3/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. If rent is past due and owed, you can make an immediate demand for it and if not paid, proceed and start the eviction. If the tenant fails to pay rent by the first day of the month or in this case, week when it is due, a landlord can give the tenant an eviction notice. The landlord can issue the notice to the tenant the very next day after rent is due, if the rent remains unpaid. If the tenant refuses to move out of the apartment or pay rent, then the landlord can file an affidavit with the court to begin the eviction lawsuit. The eviction lawsuit is also called a dispossessory proceeding (see Ga. Code Ann. § 44-7-50).

Georgia law has no set time frame for how long a landlord must wait after giving the tenant an eviction notice and filing an eviction lawsuit

how does a boarder/guest issue work in Georgia, since nothing is in writing as I have the building on the market for sale?

They would be a week to week tenant. The fact that you have nothing in writing does not mean they could stay or you can not evict.

I THINK I HAVE TO FILE FOR EVICTION?

Yes, if they do not voluntarily leave or pay, that would be correct.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!