Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

From Stamford, CT. I have question related to cando deed. We…

Customer Question
Hi, I am Supriya...

Hi, I am Supriya from Stamford, CT. I have question related to cando deed

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes, we closed our condo yesterday and noticed only my last name showing in document. My husband and I co-own it and he is solo mortgage barrower

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Stamford, Connecticut

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Today he called relator lawyer called me back I told me that we need to sign affidavit which states I am call with 2 names 1 with last name and other with proper name I want to know if this is legal

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/3/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Gerald-Esquire

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Who ever prepared the deed clearly made a mistake. Absent an unusual circumstance you would want the deed to real estate to be put in both your names as tenants by the entireties. YOu will want this corrected. To do so the attorney who prepared the deed needs to prepare and file a corrected deed.

I am not certain why the attorney needs an affidvati from you identifying your legal name. This is something he should have taken care of when he prepared the Deed. At this point he is probably wanting to make certain he has something in the file to document the need to make the correction.

This should not be a problem for you and he should not charge you for the preparation of the documents.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

After closing loan what it takes to correct the name in all documents? Will mortgage allow this apart me providing all documents again? Will it affect my loan?

The correction will not alter any of the rights and obligations of the parties. It will not impair your loan.

Here is the type of correction deed that will be completed:

https://www.deeds.com/correction-deed/

Here is the CT law on conveyances for your convenience:

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2017/pub/chap_821.htm

Kind regards,

Gerald

(Please do not forget to rate me – click the five stars. It adds nothing additional to your costs, but it helps me greatly. Plus it is good Karma for you. Thank you.)

Please note the discussion regarding the corretion deed where it states:

"an affidavit of correction or a scrivener's affidavit may be recorded and serve as notification of an error in a recorded deed"

This is why the attorney is asking for the affidavit.

But document I signed today doesn't say name correction. It say I go by both names. Which doesn't make any sense to us.

Do you in fact go by both names or only your married name?

I only go by Supriya, Chickballapur Krishnappa and all places I signed in this transactions are showing as Chickballapur Krishnappa. Affidavit says I go by both names.
Then the affidavit is incorrect. Tell the attorney to prepare a correct affidavit for you to sign.
The affidavit should state that the documents filed misidentified your correct name.
got, it. I will talk to him and tell me that I need correction deed.Also, how long I can use this service? please let me know.
This question remains open for several days even after you rate me.