Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am selling my house and I am concerned the realtor has…

Customer Question
Hello I am selling...

Hello I am selling my house and I am concerned the realtor has been unethical what can I do

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Minnesota

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

She pressured me to sign a form saying that the offer was accepted and now pending... however she kept driving down the cost. Now I found out from others that the person buying my house is her daughter. Differnt last name

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She has been leading me down the wrong path by telling me incorrect things to do I feel sick about this

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/2/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Richard, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Richard, Lawyer

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good afternoon. This should clearly have been disclosed to you and is clearly a conflict of interest. I would terminate her immediately and demand that she work with her daughter to terminate the contract that has been signed due to the realtor's deceptive and fraudulent actions. I would send her a letter by certified mail of the foregoing and demand the foregoing take place within a short specified period of time. Let her know that otherwise you will have no choice but to file suit against her and her broker and file a formal complaint with the state board of realtors. But, be sure to let her know if forced to file the suit and complaint, you will be you will be filing this claim not only as a breach of contract case, but also as fraud and deceptive trade practice causes of action, which will entitle you not only to your damages, but also an additional amount equal to multiple times your actual damages as punitive damages. That should provide plenty of incentive to comply with your demands; but, if it does not, file your suit and your formal complaint. Even if you have to file the suit, that's likely all you will need do. In my experience, she and her broker will settle this to your satisfaction without a hearing rather than risk punitive damages and the fraud and/or deceptive trade practice judgments being on the record.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!