Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

PA** we're looking at buying a foreclosed property for

PA** we're looking at buying...
PA** we're looking at buying a foreclosed property for rehab/resell. The house appears to be reasonably maintained prior to the foreclosure but we notice that it's got a buried oil tank next to the house. The bank would not allow for an inspection seeing that it does not want responsibility for any kind of information. Would that be an issue upon resale? we know that in some states underground oil tanks must be dug up, and the soil inspected. is PA one of those states. Also in the event we are digging up the oil tank, would the excavator be required to do a soil testing and to note condition of the tank.
12/2/2017
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer

Yes, the oil tank has to be removed and the seller/bank should pay for it. Or else you should negotiate a discount in the sales price, because you will have to remove it before you can close the sale and move into the house.

Please rate 5 stars ***** and hit send to close out the question.

A bonus is appreciated after you rate.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

Checking in again to see if you are satisfied with your answer or if there is anything else I can do to help.

Checking in to see if you are satisfied with the answer and are ready to close out the question or if you need something else from me.

Thanks and best wishes.

WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer