Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have a tenant who just rented a room from me, in November…

Customer Question
I have a tenant...

I have a tenant who just rented a room from me, in November 2017. I had a no pet policy on the application. Today she brought in a dog and a letter, stating the dog is a service animal. she then left the dog in a cage while she went to work. The letter is dated. September 13 2017.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

What do you mean? We have a written lease for 1 year. Can I terminate lease after year date?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/1/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
what can I answer for you?
I have a tenant who moved a room from me , November 2017. I had a no pet policy on application. we filled out a years lease agreement' today she brought in a dog and a letter stating the dog is a service animal, letter dated September 13 2017 Is that legal? and can I terminate her lease at the date year ends.
If a service animal supported by medical letter you need to allow. You do need to honor lease but don’t need to renew.
Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Can she leave the dog in a cage while she goes to work?
the Letter was dated before she moved in. does she not have to share that with property owner before she moves in?
No you can report to police and animal protection.
It should have been disclosed in advance
But where valid need you need to allow.
Unit is a small three bed room, where I reside. Thank You!
Very welcome. Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. Happy Holidays!