Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We own a condo in Florida and had some water lead from the…

Customer Question
We own a condo...

We own a condo in Florida and had some water lead from the ceiling or above condo. Our furniture was damaged. My question is is the condo building not responsible to find the source of the leak? Also do we have any action against the condo owner over us?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

We immediately e-mailed the condo President to advise of the leak

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/1/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

My question is is the condo building not responsible to find the source of the leak?

.

That all depends on who is responsible for the leak... If it is a common line that the HOA is liable for, then it is their duty to track it down, fix it, and then pay your damages. But if it is a line owned and maintained by the upstairs neighbor, then the burden is on him to find and repair..

.

But to determine that, you are going to have to open your ceiling and locate the source of the water and then hold the proper party accountable..

.

If it were me, I would go ahead and notify the upstairs neighbor as well as the HOA president so that all potentially liable parties are advised of the problem so they don't have any reason to claim they didn't know.. Then I would call a plumber to come out, find out who is liable, have it fixed, and then hold them responsible for the costs..

.

.

thanks

if the water got in from a crate on the cement balcony above our condo who would be responsible for the damages to our furniture?

Whoever owns the crate that put it there and allowed the water to leak from it is responsible.. They were negligent for leaving it there so as to be able to damage your property..