Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I live at 16925 Prairie Avenue, Torrance, CA, 90504. I moved…

Customer Question
I live at***** Torrance...

I live at***** Torrance, CA , 90504. I moved in here 4 years ago. The rent was 865.00, raise to 925.00 and again to 1050.00. The owner sold it while I was out of town for Thanksgiving only till I came back last Monday that the new owner has raised the rent to a whopping 1475.00. While living here 2 weeks after moving in my shower was filled with toilet paper. The management sent their company maintence empyoled team and blamed it on me. Although as I’m the last apartment unit, they had to pull up my carpet and drill through the cement to correct the plumbing issue. That when I faced a over 3 year complaint about water roaches. Only this year have they fumigated my apartment 3 Times, no more roaches they moved to the next door neighbors apartment. I also complained about a mouse eating my food, the fumication Company did not get that mouse. Advised me to set a trap to caught the mouse which I did just this Wednesday . They ordered us the smallest trash disposal site I ever seen for 27 units. I caught the new Mangement representative today showed her the pictures, explained the price does not match the comps for this apartment.My bedroom window is facing the 405 freeway and noise of Prairie Avenue. I explained that I contacted the Department of Health Conditions and they will contact me within 5 to 7 days to come hear and see my complaints. Most of us are force to move, despite, low incomes, and disabled people. I’m currently on a waiting h

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

List of two year for senior housing. This will cost me a fortune, I’m hoping and thinking my family can help me till I get in to senior housing. At least 75% or more are looking and planning to move before this drastic increase. Can you advise or help me, Please!

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes always reported to the former Managment Company constantly Loma . No po

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nomphone Nbr for new mgmt Company South Bay Estates as the representative was here to check an apartment that was vacated yesterday for security deposit

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/1/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Are you on a lease for a set term or month to month?

When did they say the rent would increase?

month to month. The increase is 425.00 a month for an Economy apartment , old building was once a hotel/motel converted to apartments

They're required by law to give you 60 days notice of an increase of more than 10%. That's more than a 40% increase. That means the soonest they can charge you more is February 1, which hopefully gives you time to move to a place with a more reasonable price.

the increae is a 60 day notice with a lease. I sure i can find a better place even lower than that price? What else can i do?

I'm afraid the primary options are to accept the increase and stay or reject it and move. Torrence doesn't have any rent controls, so they are allowed to raise the rent as much as they want, as long as they give notice.

You could try asking if they would consider a lower rent amount in exchange for a lease for a set term. Sometimes landlords charge more for month to month leases because the tenant could move out at any time.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer