Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have lived in our apt going on 8 years no carpet replaced…

Customer Question
I have lived in...

I have lived in our apt going on 8 years no carpet replaced no painting or anything

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Columbus

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They say they cant do anything unless we move al things out of apt

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/1/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Unfortunately the landlord has no legal duty to update or upgrade a property after a certain amount of time. The only thing he has to do under the law is provide a "habitable" dwelling that meets all local Code requirements. So he would only have to replace carpet if it constituted a tripping hazard due to wear and only have to repaint if the paint was peeling or constituted a health hazard..

.

You could call the local Code Enforcement office and ask for an inspection and they can ding him for any violations and force him to make repairs..

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much