Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have a property in Georgia that I bought tax sell six

Customer Question
I have a property...

I have a property in Georgia that I bought tax sell six years ago,At the end of the year I never did the right of redemption but instead rent it till present,I have of course paid the taxes every year along with everything else,Iast week I got a certified letter from the previous owners lawyers claiming that they are entitled to the rents that was paid until the deed finally ripened(4 years they claim)I found no where that says there entitled to anything other then buying the property back,with they didn’t,do they have a valid claim whatsoever,A local lawyer I asked said he had never seen anything that supports this claim and think their lawyer is just making this up,what do you think?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Ga

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

The only thing I got is a demand letter from their lawyer claiming I owe them for four years collected rent

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/1/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Actually, if you never foreclosed on the right of redemption in GA, which is required for you to take full ownership, the owner of a tax deed is not allowed to collect rents on the property. Here is a link to one of the GA tax assessor pages which tells you that you cannot collect rents until you properly foreclose on the right of redemption: https://www.fultoncountytaxes.org/property-taxes/after-the-tax-sale/rights-of-redemption.aspx

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.