Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I rented my property to an individual to put a mobile home…

Customer Question
I rented my property...

I rented my property to an individual to put a mobile home on it he trashed the property with household garbage, dumped used tires on it.. he has abandoned the property he has not paid rent.. can i put a lein on the mobile home he left. I have given him a 7 day eviction that time has passed he is trying to move the mobile home without cleaning up the property.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Alabama, Baldwin County 36507 ZIP

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Only a 7 day eviction was given to tenant.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I did not file anything with courthouse.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/30/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks so much for your patience on this. Generally, you can't put a lien on property unless you have a court order that allows you to take a lien on something. For instance, if you sued this person for their actions, went to court, won a judgment, and they did not pay, then you could then get a lien. However, if they just have their property on your property, you can't get a lien against it.

This person's property is trespassing on your property, so you may be able to request the sheriff's department remove it or you could sue the individual for trespass and recover the cost of having to store it.

What other questions did you have for me?

The person has already been evicted.

Oh I understand. What I mean is that their property is trespassing on yours and this person may be liable for the rent that you would ordinarily charge for storing the property. What this means is that you may want to consider just writing a formal demand letter advising that their actions could result in a lawsuit for trespass. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation. If you win a trespass lawsuit, then you could then file a lien and attach it to the property.

What other questions did you have for me today?

Tina, Lawyer