Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Does a Lis Pendens prevent a title company from not filing…

Customer Question
Does a Lis Pendens...

Does a Lis Pendens prevent a title company from not filing FIRPTA tax in a timely manner?

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

In Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes. Lis Pendens was filed while I was in the process of settling on an investment property I bought from a foreign investor who was sued by Home Buyers of America because unknowing to me he had signed a contract of sale. The title company withheld the tax but claimed they could not transfer tax to the IRS pending the outcome of the lawsuit. After reaching an out of court settlement, the tax was transferred in Oct vs April 2017 and the IRS penalized me in excess of $12K for late filing. The title company's argument is they could not transfer the tax while a Lis Pendens was in effect. The IRS countered by saying that was not reason enough not to submit the tax on time.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/30/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: JustAnswer, Arbitrator replied 7 months ago
JustAnswer
JustAnswer, Arbitrator
Thanks for posting your question. We're matching you to the right Expert, who will call you at the number you provided. Please leave any new details below.
Real Estate Lawyer: ,  replied 7 months ago
Phone call session started