Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I live in a townhouse that has an HOA. I am behind on those…

Customer Question
I live in a...

I live in a townhouse that has an HOA. I am behind on those payments and offered to make payments of $150 additional per month. They made a counter offer of $1000 a month. There is no way I could ever afford that. Should I seek assistance from an attorney in this matter so there is not a lien placed against my house?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?

Brevard county Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Not that I am aware of. I looked up public records myself and did not see anything

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I know of. Thank you

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/30/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. How much is past due and owed?

Hi. Was given a total of $13867.90 with no breakdown to that.
I would like a call but I am at work in between patient care at this time

Thank you for the reply. They should provide you with a breakdown of what is owed. The Board does have the decision to accept a payment plan and if one cannot be agreed to, they can turn this over to their attorney and they can go after you for the money, obtain a lien and foreclosure. $150 a month would take a very long time to pay this off, so they do not have to agree to that. Keep in mind, that if you hire an attorney, that they are going to charge you, so you need to decide if the money is better applied to the debt, rather than legal fees, when the money is owed. Unless you have a legal defense, as to why you should not pay or this is owed, there may not be much the attorney can do.

Thank you for your reply. For now I will try to negotiate. If they do place a lien, what happens with that? Am I allowed to make payments or save until I can make the total payment?

They could proceed and foreclose if they wanted to. You can always try and pay the debt down and settle this but if they wanted to, they could aggressively proceed and foreclose and force the sale. You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!