Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I need help with mechanics lien. In new Mexico. No there was…

Customer Question
I need help with...

I need help with mechanics lien

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

In new Mexico

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No there was never no contract signed between me and the contractor they wanted cash

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that's it is think

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/30/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 4 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Is there a specific question with which I can assist?

I had my roof repaired and the roofer damaged my AC line they refused to give me there insurance information and there threatening me with a mechanic's lien and I've paid them in cash but there was never a contract signed between myself or the contractor

Thank you for your additional facts however I need to know what questions you have before I can provide an answer.

Can they put a lien on my property it's been more than 2 months and if the person who did my roof is unlicensed can I sue them

Your question: Can they put a lien on my property it's been more than 2 months

Answer: They can put a lien on your property if they claim they were not paid and go through the proper lien procedures.

Your question: if the person who did my roof is unlicensed can I sue them?

Answer: You can only sue them if they had told you they were licensed when they actually weren't. Regardless you can sue them for the damage to your AC line if you didn't sign any documents waiving your rights to sue them.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

Even if you are a subscriber or have a trial membership please leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so that the website knows I have answered your question.

if they are unlicensed they can still put a lien on my property

Potentially. It has happened in more than one case in the past and even if the initial mechanics lien is not possible they could still sue, get a judgment, and that judgment will act as a lien.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney