Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My neighbor has a non-exclusive easement on a road that is…

My neighbor has a non-exclusive...
My neighbor has a non-exclusive easement on a road that is on my property in order to get in and out of his property. Years ago he asked me the permission to erect a gate at the entrance so to protect his property from intruders, I agreed to in writing.
2 questions:
Can he claim any rights of ownership on my property?
Do I need his permission to remove that gate?
11/30/2017
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

NO. An easement by prescription (involuntary but legal control over someone else's land) or adverse possession (squatter's rights) needs control of the land without permission from the actual owner for a period of time. In this case, he HAS your permission. So he cannot (or should not) be able to claim any control.

Yes. If someone in your situation gave permission to him IN WRITING to erect a gate, then he has an estoppel claim to keep the gate (unless the written agreement has an end date), and it may be taken down either (1) with his written permission, or, (2) if he abuses the gate/easement. In the second scenario, you'd need a court to agree to the taking down of the gate.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Thank you.
He is encroaching on my property as follows. My property is surveyed and the property line is very clearly marked by a surveyor and recorded with the county. He has erected a carport and is storing cars, trucks, trailers and other junk on my side of the property line. How then do I get him to remove those and keep to his side of the line?

First, a letter threatening legal action. If he continues and does not remedy the situation, someone in your situation has the ability to file a QUIET TITLE action in Court, asking the Judge to extinguish the easement due to his abuse of it by encroaching unto your property from it and refusing to stop. While subjective, abuse of an easement can be cause for its extinguishment.

Kind Reminder: Please, use SEND button to keep chatting, or please rate positively and click SEND to submit your rating once satisfied. You may always ask follow ups at no charge before or after rating. "I STRIVE FOR FIVE!"

Ely, Counselor at Law