Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My father was living in a trailer that had been abandoned on…

Customer Question
My father was living...

My father was living in a trailer that had been abandoned on a property in a trailer park. The land owner let him live in the trailer and he paid a monthly rent for the lot space. My father fixed the trailer up to become livable again and has paid all taxes on the property for the past three years. He recently was in jail for a few months. In the process the property was still taken care of and all bills will kept up with in his absence. However, now he is out and went to the trailer and the locks were changed. The neighbor next door claims he owns the trailer (but doesn't have a title to the property) and sold the trailer on my father, with all his belongings inside. What does he do? According to the tax office my father owns the trailer.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Pennsylvania

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/29/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Father just needs to get something in writing from the tax office stating he is the owner and then he can regain access to the property, either with a locksmith or by cutting off any locks and replacing them. He can't get in trouble for breaking into his own trailer..

.

The neighbor has zero rights to sell father's personal property or the trailer and that is something they will have to deal with the buyer about..

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much