Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I had mold in my house and the problem is fixed and now my…

Customer Question
I had mold in...

I had mold in my house and the problem is fixed and now my landlord wants to up my rent tremendously is this legal

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I had mold in my house and the problem is fixed and now my landlord wants to up my rent tremendously is this legalCalifornia Manhattan Beach California Manhattan Beach

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Nothing has been filed but I have the mold report was toxic mold in the house

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nothing has been filed but I have the mold report was toxic mold in the houseI want to know if there's a timeframe until they can raise my rent I want to know if there's a timeframe until they can raise my rent

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/29/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Do you have a lease or do you rent month to month?

Month to month

Thank you. Without a lease in place, the landlord can raise your rent, by providing you with the property notice. Since there is no rent control in Manhatten Beach, the landlord could raise it and ask that you pay, if they now believe the rental is worth more, than previously rented for. I know it is not ideal but they would have to provide you notice ( 30 or 60 days) , so you could decide to stay or vacate.

If the Mold has not been cleared by a post mold test do I still have to pay the rent or can I withhold the rent until the post mold test has been given

Here is a link which addresses what must happen, for you to be able to withhold the rent.

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/repairs.shtml. If this effects the habitability of the rental, you could withhold it but need to follow the proper procedure.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!