Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have a real estate question. Pennsylvania, no, It involves…

Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a real estate question.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Pennsylvania

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

It involves my 90 year old mom and the transfer of her home to me...possibly

11/28/2017
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

What is your specific legal question?

My 90 year old mother is moving into an independent living apartment. It's not HUD but is through the Jewish Federation so considered low income housing and she had to get screened through her finances to be eligible. She has a duplex and will be moving out of the top floor leaving it empty. I can't rent it because she was accepted into her apartment based on income. Can I put the house (duplex) in my name so that I can collect rent from the top and bottom floors? A tenant rents the bottom now. I have Power of Attorney. Thanks for your help.

Did she need to disclose her assets to the Federation or make any representation about her assets?

She disclosed all of her assets. We sign the lease for the apartment on Thursday.

I would hesitate to make any real estate transfers due to the loss of the step up in basis and the effect it will eventually have on capital gains.

However it's independent living, not assisted. They do not have access to her finances.

She can transfer the property to your name, but I would be careful as it could create tax problems or become an issue if she need to be eligible for Medicaid in the next 5 yrs.

Hmmm, okay. What is step up in basis? The top floor could potentially earn $1200/month and it will be sitting vacant. It's just a shame.
Okay, so I could transfer it legally, it just may be a problem if she needs nursing care or assisted living within the next 5 years?

It means that when she dies the basis, used to calculate capital gains tax when you sell it will be based on the value of the property on the date of her death, rather than when she purchased it.

Yes, if she needs medicaid they will look back 5 yrs for transfers.

Loren, Lawyer
Thank you Loren. I appreciate your help!

You are very welcome. Thanks for using JA.