Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Mother passed away 5/16/2016. I am exec. and also was left…

Customer Question
Mother passed away 5/16/2016...

Mother passed away 5/16/2016. I am exec. and also was left her home by way of her will. I retained the property and probate is done. I want to refy home but bank wants quit claim deed. How do I do this post death.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

VA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

All probate papers etc. completed and fees paid to court and commissioner of accounts

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not off hand

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/28/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

When you went to probate did you include the home in the probate, since even though it was left to you in the will it was supposed to be in the probate so the judge could order the deed changed into your name. If you did not have the house included in the probate you need to file to open supplemental probate and file the will and include the home. If the home was included in the probate, then the deed should have been changed in probate and your name should have been placed on the deed in the property records and you need to contact the property clerk about that.

You cannot do a quit claim, she is dead. The deed change has to be done by an order from the probate court to the property records clerk.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.