Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Our neighbor "the neighbor bully" has run a fence between…

Hello, our neighbor "the...

Hello, our neighbor "the neighbor bully" has run a fence between our homes that is attached from his house wall thru their driveway and onto our property touching our wall. They put a lock on the gate which is located in the middle. We want to run our xmas lights and he refuses to open the gate

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Not yet. he claims that he had a suryeyor come which stated that his property actually goes with 6 inches of our home. However the county assessor map shows otherwise. I talked to a surveyor yesterday and they said that nobody on our entire block has submitted surveys and that he is encroaching.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just wanted to know if we should file a report with the sherrif. Our landlord who lives up north said to do that to start that paper trail

11/28/2017
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. Can you give a bit more information...has the neighbor erected this new fence on your property?

he ran it over onto our property and up against our home.

Thanks

And what is your goal? You want to force the neighbor to remove the portion of the fence that is on your property?

well that is our ultimate goal. He claimed they had a survey done but there are no records of it at county. my question is if it is legal for them to have a locked gate that divides our home.

Wait...what do you mean by "locked gate that divides our home"?

Can you speak on the phone? This would allow me to address your concerns directly. There is a nominal ($5) additional charge. I do not time my phone calls...we can converse until you receive the information you need.

P. Simmons, Lawyer

Thanks for using the phone option. Another customer accepted a call just prior to you...I need to take that call but will call you immediately after

I do not time my calls...but most last 1/2 hour or so.