Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

When I bought my 2 bedroom condo that's what ithe was. Now…

Customer Question
Hello, when I bought my...
Hello, when I bought my 2 bedroom condo that's what ithe was. Now the home owners are calling them townhouses and making the owners insure the structure/frame. They here added our garbage bill in our property taxes and are now talking g about putting in individual water meters. When I joined ed the board of directors I asked to see the master policy they sent me something and it had lapsed, now they want to be added on the homeowners insurance policy as additional ally insured. Are there specifications o. What constitutes a condo, like multilevel or an attached garage? I have read about the waterms and garbage. I think they are trying to changet us into townhouses cause they can't get insurance. HELP
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 day by:
11/29/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Attyadvisor, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you. A townhouse can be a condo as well. What do your HOA governing documents state? They can not change a condo to another form of ownership without changing all of the documents that govern your HOA. This is not a simple process. A condo is described on your deed by the legal description which would also need to be changed accordingly. Do you have a copy of your title insurance policy or governing documents?

If you were not responsible for insuring the outer elements of your condo the HOA cannot decide that you are responsible without proper amendments to the governing documents.

This is the law that governs all Condo and HOA's in the State of California. https://www.davis-stirling.com/

"Condominium Defined. Condominium is Latin in origin and means co-ownership. Unlike stock cooperatives, condominium owners hold title to their units. A condominium is defined as "an estate in real property, consisting of an undivided interest in common in a portion of real property coupled with a separate interest called a unit." (Civ. Code §4125.) The covenants, conditions and restrictions ("CC&Rs") recorded against the entire project restrict the use of the property and define the responsibilities of association as a whole as well as the owners individually.

Condo Varieties. A condominium is typically a cube of air although it can be water or earth. Condominiums are often vertically stacked units (often from 3 to 30 stories) and consist of an air space bounded by the floors, ceilings, and perimeter walls surrounding that space. However, they can just as easily be side-by-side condominiums such as townhouses or even mobilehome condominiums (where cubes of air with surveyed boundaries sit on lots within which owners park their mobilehomes).

Condominium Project Defined. A "condominium project" is a form of common interest development. A "condominium" is "an undivided interest in common in a portion of real property coupled with a separate interest in space called a unit . . . ." (Civ. Code §4125.) Unless the governing documents provide otherwise, the common area of a condominium project is owned by the owners of the separate interests as tenants in common. In addition to the combined ownership of the two estates enumerated above, the major characteristics of a condominium include an agreement among the unit owners regulating the administration and maintenance of the property.

The agreement is reflected in the governing documents of the association; which includes the declaration and any other documents, such as bylaws, operating rules of the association, articles of incorporation which govern the operation of the common interest development. (Civil Code §4150.) The development's restrictions should be contained in its recorded declaration but may also be contained in an association's internal rules or bylaws. The CC&Rs bind all owners of separate interests in the development. (Ritter v. Churchill.)

Membership. Any conveyance, whether voluntary or involuntary, of an owner's interest in the unit automatically includes the owner's membership in the association. (Civ. Code §4630.) Owners automatically become members of a nonprofit corporation or of an unincorporated association created for the purpose of managing the development. Associations are governed by a board of directors selected by the membership. (Corp. Code §7210.)

Inherent in condominium ownership is the principle that to promote the health, happiness and peace of mind of the majority of the unit owners, each unit owner must give up a certain degree of freedom of choice which he or she might otherwise enjoy in separate, privately owned property. (Nahrstedt v. Lakeside Village.)

ASSISTANCE: Associations needing legal assistance can contact us. To stay current with issues affecting community associations, subscribe to the Davis-Stirling Newsletter." https://www.davis-stirling.com/Main-Index/Condominiums

If you can answer my questions I can provide specific information for you.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. A positive rating will not impact your ability to obtain a refund.

You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out.

Can you see the rating scale on your end, 5 stars?

Thank you for your consideration.