Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am a Condo owner and have been in my home for over 9

Customer Question
I am a Condo...

I am a Condo owner and have been in my home for over 9 years. There is a closet outside my unit's front door that was sold to me as one of my storage units. The previous owner used it for around 4 years and now the new Board of Directors wants to take it! It was never a part of the Common Areas as it was built especially for the first owner in which to keep his wheelchair.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I am in IL, a suburb of Chicago, IL

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

The Management company sent me a note , week before last, stating that I would have to vacate it by the 1st of December 2017. No reason was given!

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that I don't understand why this has happened so suddenly after I have used it for storage for over 9 years and the previous owner used it for years before that. I was given the Key to the unit after my Closing over 9 years ago.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/27/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Olivia Kent,
 replied 5 months ago
Olivia Kent

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and doesn’t constitute not legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

ANSWER: If it were my storage unit, what I would do is write a letter to the condo association stating that I have been using this unit for over 9 years and I was provided with a key to the unit, and part of my decision to purchase was based on my access to this storage space - and they can't now take it away without compensating me for it. I would state that their "prior course of conduct" is something that I "relied upon" and it would not be "detrimental" to have it taken away from me without compensation. I purposely put the legalese in quotes for you (don't put it in quotes in your letter) because I wanted you to see what legal terms they will pay attention to when they see the letter. I hope I've answered your question. If you don't need any additional information, could you please take a moment to check the box stating that I answered your question so that I receive credit for working with you. It doesn't cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. Sometimes people aren't aware that experts don't get any credit for the time and effort that we spend on our answers unless you rate it positively (3 or more stars). If you have follow up questions I'd be happy to answer them as well. You can still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be some lag in my response time if you follow up with additional questions. It just means I'm working with someone else but I will ALWAYS come back an answer your questions when I'm done.

Real Estate Lawyer: Olivia Kent,
 replied 4 months ago

Is there anything else I can answer for you?

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent