Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have a situation with my apartment. I have been in an

Customer Question
I have a situation...

I have a situation with my apartment. I have been in an apartment that was had been apparently been vacant for some time before I moved in. Water pools outside on the patio and runs down the outside wall of the apartment. because of this the apartment has always been extremely damp which cant be good for my 83-year-old mother who has to sleep in the dampest room. I had an electrical issue also and found out it was due to the wires corroding and shorting out. . After repeated attempts to resolve the issue, the only solution was to put an old broken down dehumidifier in the apartment and leave it. I was told it would only be there a couple of days and it's been months. That I assume was their solution. They just ignore my issues and sware the maintenance persons have entered the apartment and everything is alright. The only problem is I know they lied multiple times because I was waiting in the apartment when they said they entered. The humidifier is still here and I am still having issues. I have never been late on the rent.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, they basically admited to the issues and said that they had another apartment with the same issue, but they suggested that if i wanted to move it may be the apartment with the same issue. When I asked if they were going to pay to move me and if they intended to move me into the apartment with the same issue, they stopped responding to my emails. They also just clipped the wire to my satellite dish and removed it this week saying something about their policy when I see other apartments with a similar issue.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/27/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: WiseOwl58, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer

Under Ohio law, you have a right to have the repairs made within 30 days otherwise you can escrow your rent as follows:

• If you have notified your landlord, in writing, of problems at your rental property or of an insect or rodent infestation, the landlord should remedy the problems within a “reasonable” amount of time. For a broken furnace in mid-January, a reasonable amount of time may be just a few days. The landlord may take up to 30 days to make less critical repairs.

If the landlord fails to make repairs within a reasonable amount of time (not more than 30 days), you may have the right to get a court order for repairs to be made, obtain a court-ordered reduction in rent, or terminate the lease. You also have the right to escrow your rent.

What does escrowing rent mean?

Escrowing your rent means that you deposit your rental payments with the clerk of the municipal or county court, depending on where you live, instead of paying your landlord. Before you can escrow your rent, you must first wait the FULL 30 days after notifying the landlord of its failure to fulfill obligations. However, if there is an emergency, such as lack of heat in winter or lack of water, you can start escrowing your rent earlier. The notice requesting repairs must be clear and detailed enough that your landlord and the court can understand exactly what is wrong. You must send the notice to the place where you normally pay rent. Keep a photocopy of the notice and send it with a “certificate of mailing” so you have proof you sent the notice. You must deposit your rent into escrow on or before the date when your rent is due. If your rent is due on the 5th of every month, deposit your rent on or before the 5th.

The court will tell your landlord that you have started depositing your rent into a rent escrow account. Once the landlord makes the repairs, you can ask the court to release the money to the landlord.

Please click on 4 or 5 stars to rate the answer and close out the question.

A bonus is most appreciated after you rate the answer.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

Checking in again to see if you are satisfied with your answer or if there is anything else I can do to help.

WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer