Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Can commercial property be quick claim deed over out of a C…

Customer Question
Can commercial property be...

Can commercial property be quick claim deed over out of a C corporation and what would be the tax liability to the person receiving it? This property is located in Southern California San Diego County

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I'm just trying to decide if this is a viable option to get out of the corporation

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/26/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

You ask about a "quick claim" transfer...I am not familiar with this...did you, perhaps, mean "quit claim"?

Sorry, yes quit claim.

THanks

That is possible...that is, it IS possible for the owner (in this case the C Corp) to transfer the title, via quit claim deed, to an individual.

Taxes? The corporation would have to pay a "gift tax" on the value of the gift, in excess of $14K (the federal gift tax exemption is $14K...so gifts over this amount are taxed to the donor, at their effective rate)

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil