Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My son has paid rent on-time but has been ordered to vacate…

Customer Question
My son has paid...

My son has paid rent on-time but has been ordered to vacate by 11/30/2017. He has a standard rental agreement with 30 day notice. Eviction id threatened.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Eureka CA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My son seeks refund of damage deposit and a reasonable move-out date.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/25/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

What can we do now?

How long has he been living on the property?

Approximately 4 years
4 years
Are you there?

I'm here. I'm just a slow typer. One moment...

Ok, so if he was on a month to month agreement and he was living there longer than one year, then CA says that he requires at least a 60 day notice before he is evicted. The only exception would be if he did something that violated the lease agreement and allowed for a 30 day eviction. If he was on a yearly lease, then a 30 day eviction notice is again insufficient, but only if he didn't do anything to violate the lease agreement. Accordingly, it is possible that the landlord is violating the CA civil code in this respect.

Moreover, a landlord can only charge a reasonable amount for the damages and cleaning upon move out. This means that if what they charged is unreasonable, a court may require them to pay back beyond what was reasonable. You may want to consider just sending a formal demand letter.For just $5, you and I an exchange contact information and have some private question and answer time. I also know of something that can help you with this situation. If you click here, you can request an attorney-prepared demand letter for a flat fee (usually around $250). Turnaround time is less than 48 hours. Take a look at the link and fill out the contact form if you’re interested.

Did you have any other questions for me today that I could help you with?