Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I gave an easement for a large water line. Plans called for…

Customer Question
I gave an easement...

I gave an easement for a large water line. Plans called for hydrant as did code engineer designed under. During construction issues developed about hydrant being outside of easement. Only after great time and effort did engineer and water company agree out and told contractor had to put back in. That led to discovering water line outside also. They said got water line back in but could not get hydrant in with without costly rework for contractor. Told me to give added easement or they delete hydrant. I insisted they put one in. They deleted and moved on . Earlier contractor had submitted as built drawing showing in. Took months for me to get them to realize out. When did water on system and to install inside would be expensive. I told them that was contractor's problem. They sided with contractor. I want to persue the matter. Your thoughts.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

South Carolina. Was fraud committed by contractor in submitting as built that led to delay in finding error and thus making it more costly to in rework

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

All can be documented very easily. I am looking for a lawyer now. It is hard to just pick one of a book.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This occurred about 100 miles from where I live. Would I be better served in getting lawyer in the county where work was done. Water company is public utility. Contractor is from another area of South Carolina.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/24/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You would need a lawyer where the property was located and all of this occurred. You have a right to sue the contractor if they improperly placed the water lines and hydrant was eliminated. You are right that the contractor making a mistake and even if it cost him more money, it was his liability to make it right in accordance to the design plans you agreed upon. So you can sue him for the costs of making everything right the way it was originally agreed upon.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer