Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I live in the 90804 area code, & was informed that the rent…

Customer Question
I live in the...

I live in the 90804 area code, & was informed that the rent is to increase 40% in 6o days. Am i in a rent control area. The building was built somewhere in the 1960's?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Oh, sorry its southern California.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Not sure. I received a notice in the mail from landlord's attorney saying that the increase was in accordance with Civil Code Section 827. I did receive sixty days notice.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Only that its the holidays. Pretty bad timing! My rent goes up $400 on Jan 1.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/23/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: legalgems, Arbitrator replied 10 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator
I believe that is Long Beach which is not under rent control.60 days is required for tenants who have resided on the premises for one year or more. That is a substantial increase but when a lease is up and there is no rent control the landlord may raise the rent accordingly unfortunately.
Thanks. Guess i'll have to move after 68 months without 1 late rent payment. I'm sure this is probably happening because rent controls are in the works for this area, and she is trying to get as much as she can.
Oh that would make sense. One would think a good long term tenant would be worth a premium though....sorry I didnt have better news.
Did you have any other questions? You are my last customer so I wanted to make sure before signing off . Enjoy the holiday!
Real Estate Lawyer: legalgems, Arbitrator replied 9 months ago

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information