Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

How to change property zoning from single family house in…

Customer Question
Hello, how to change...

Hello, how to change property zoning from single family house in Chicago to two separate units house

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

IL

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Not yet

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/22/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

First, you need to apply for the building permits with your plans. Second when you file you need to file for a zoning variance to allow you to have a 2 family unit in a single family residential area. If zoning and planning approves fine, if not your next step is filing a written appeal to the zoning board and seek a hearing before the board to seek approval of the two family in the single family area.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.