Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am purchasing a 4 family building in Newark and I'm not…

Customer Question
Hi I am purchasing...

Hi I am purchasing a 4 family building in Newark and I'm not sure if 4 families falls under the rent control ordinance?If it doesn't, how much can I raise rents per yer? Or can I evict the tenants to make improvements and then raise the rents to fair market value?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Newark NJ

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

I am waiting on an OPRA request to see if its registered rent controlled

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Its a short sale and the current landlord is not disclosing the rent amounts and i have a few days before i can no longer pull out of the deal and if its rent controlled then its not worth it.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/22/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Attyadvisor, Attorney replied 5 months ago
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

The landlord needs to cooperate with the sale. I would want to see the leases and have them assigned to you. I can look up the rent control laws for you, but not necessarily the exact building. Are the property taxes paid up to date? Are you able to inspect the rental units? Is there a realtor involved? http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2017/03/newark_rent_control_ordinance.html

Tina, Lawyer