Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Question? I am an individual in California who submitted an…

Customer Question
Question? I am an...

Question? I am an individual in California who submitted an offer to buy a house for myself off the MLS. I submitted an offer on a state approved contract, with a lender pre-qualification letter. The listing agent rejected it saying I had to have a realtor involved? Is this correct?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Only my offer to purchase?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I want to affirm that my offer was a full price offer on a listed property, for my family. Submitted on an state approved contract in California with a lender pre-Qualification letter.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/21/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your question. Although I can't comment on why this seller's agent told you that you were required to have a buyer's agent to represent you, since I don't have the facts from their perspective, I can tell you that from a technical legal perspective that is not true. However, I would never recommend that anyone, other than a Realtor or a real estate attorney who specializes in real estate closings, enter into a real estate deal without a qualified agent.

This is especially true since there is no expense for the buyer and California has more legal restrictions and disclosure requirements than most states. In addition, some lenders require that a Realtor be involved on behalf of the buyer. But again, from a statutory basis, it is not technically required by law. So if you want to insist that your offer go forward, you can try speaking to the Broker for that agency this listing agent works for to see if you can resolve the issue.

Please feel free to ask for clarification. If none is needed, then if you could reply to this answer and let me know that I covered your question and also leave a positive rating in the ratings box on this page, then the Site will give me credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 21st. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating,please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at:http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.