Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Have a existing rodent problem & landlord wants new lease…

Customer Question
Have a existing rodent...

Have a existing rodent problem & landlord wants new lease renewal without correcting existing issue. New lease date 12-01-17.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Vallejo,Ca 94590

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes problem has existed for many -many months.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/21/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

If he won't cure any infestation, is there some reason you just don't move out?

.

Have you contacted the local Code Enforcement office and asked for an inspection of the property?

.

.

thanks

no I haven't I can't afford to move out at this time.

Ok, then if you contact Code Enforcement and request an inpspection, they can come out and cite the owner for any problems, like an infestation and then force him to cure the problem or face fines and even criminal prosecution for failing to do so. And then you have a formal record of the complaint so if he tried to evict you, you can defeat the eviction based on illegal retaliation and actually sue the landlord for damages if he tries..

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Lawyer