Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Do condos reimburse for dryer vent cleaning. Copper ridge…

Customer Question
Do condos reimburse for...

Do condos reimburse for dryer vent cleaning

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Copper ridge condos in charlotte

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Paperwork? The bill and i just paid hoa ass fees too so thinking I should get money off on next month's fees.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, just wondering.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/21/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: KLAW, Arbitrator replied 4 months ago
KLAW
KLAW, Arbitrator
To answer this properly you would need to look at your Master Deed, that outlines common elements.In the Master Deed it-describes exactly what constitutes the Unit vs common elements.
Usually, however, it works like this:
The condominium Association is responsible for maintenance of the “common elements”, which in general, means things shared in common with others. So, for example, pipes conduits, wires, etc. that are subject to common use are generally maintained by the Association.
After the part of the Master Deed (usually Paragraph 4) which sets out the borders of the unit by top, bottom and sides, there appears a subsequent paragraph that says something like, “Each unit also includes all items (more fully described) which serve one unit only, even though some or all of the object is not within the borders of the unit”. Thus, for example, if you have an air conditioner condenser unit outside, but it serves only your unit, it is yours, even though it is not located within the four corners of your unit.
So usually, a dryer vent pipe that solely serves one unit is more likely to be yours to maintain, and a dryer vent pipe that serves more than one unit is likely to be a common element.
Be careful though. You also have to read the rest of the condominium documents to make sure that there isn’t a maintenance provision elsewhere in the governing documents which alters this maintenance/ownership issue.One of the unusual things about community association living is that maintenance responsibilities are often separated from ownership.So review your condominium documents and if the vent is a common element they are responsible to reimbursement you for the cleaning cost.I hope this clarifies. Please don’t forget to rate the question.
Can’t tell if the duct only serves my unit

I​t would be hard to tell without an HVAC inspection. You are probably going to have to hire and HVAC expert to look into the duct setup to further ascertain your rights and the condominiums legal obligations. I hope this clarifies. Please don't forget to rate the question with stars. As attorneys, we are not employees of Just Answer and are not paid any compensation unless you rate the question.

No, it’s ok. But thanks
Thank you
If you have any other questions please just ask
KLAW
KLAW
KLAW, Arbitrator