Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Can I️ take legal action against the tenant living above me…

Customer Question
Can I️ take legal...

Can I️ take legal action against the tenant living above me for water damage which I️ would consider negligence

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Florida palm Beach gardens

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/21/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

What is the source of the water damages?

.

Is it a leak in the property that the landlord is liable for, or something the tenant did, like overflow the toilet?

.

.

thanks

It would be something the tenant did or could do. I am preparing in advance because I anticipate problems and I want to be prepared

Then yes, if the tenant caused the damage, then they can be held liable for the cost of any repairs. So if they overflow the toilet and it ruins your ceiling, you can sue the tenant for the cost of any damages. If there is a landlord, I would also include them in any lawsuit in case it is a problem they are liable for and let them fight it out as to who had to pay you..

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks