Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Tina I recently applied for a townhouse last week,was

Customer Question
Hi,Tina I recently applied...

Hi,Tina I recently applied for a townhouse last week,was approved so I️ gave the company a large deposit.I️ signed my contract but it was scheduled to start on the first of dec.I️ contacted the company 4 days later and told her that I️ can no longer moved in the apartment because my mother have took Ill all of a sudden and I️ will have to go back home(out of state)so she told me to write a statement showing that I️ no longer wanted the apt so they can put it back on the market.it wasn’t until I️ asked about my large deposit and a copy of my lease that I️ did not received at the time that she got upset and stop talking to me.she said the nerve of me trying to beat the company out of money..I️ stated ma’am I️m just trying to get a copy of my contract because I️ know in the contract it does not state that my deposit is Not refundable or the company will take the max should I️ cancel the payment.please help.

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

I️m ready

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Lake Charles Louisiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No ma’am this just happen yesterday

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes,I️ can I️ go by getting a copy of the lease .

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/21/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Yes, you are absolutely entitled to a copy of the lease agreement. Go by their office and request a copy for your file.

If they refuse then you should make a consumer complaint to the Louisiana Attorney General's Office.

By the way, the lease agreement is valid and binding as soon as you sign, regardless of when you are going to take possession.

If you or they can find a new tenant before December then you should get back your entire deposit.

Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 8 months ago

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!