Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We wanted to rent a place but we couldn't go in to look at…

Customer Question
We wanted to rent...

We wanted to rent a place but we couldn't go in to look at it until tenants moved out. The landlord asked for deposit and 1st month rent and said if we didn't like it he would return money. House was not what we expected and we are trying to get money back. He said it would take about a month. It took him 2 days to deposit our check. What can I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

South Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

We signed a lease

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that's about it.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/20/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Do you have anything in writing to evidence the refund agreement or was it verbal?

Verbal

Thank you and please allow me a moment

If he claims it will take about a month to refund your money, it is likely a result of him spending it and not having it, if he deposited the check and you saw it cleared. The refund should take no more then a few days and you can make a written demand to him, to return the money sooner. He can not keep money when there was no agreement to rent and it is illegal to take and use the money and not refund it, if you did not take possession. In a situation like this, you can wait the month and see if it is returned but if not, go to the police and file a report and sue him in small claims court, for its return, if the police say this is a civil matter, not criminal.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!