Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am listed as an occupant on an apartment lease that my…

Customer Question
I am listed as...

I am listed as an occupant on an apartment lease that my girlfriend is signed on, I have not signed the lease. However we took the apartment together and I paid move in monies. Now she is angry and telling me to get out immediately. I can not move immediately for many reasons. I think my girlfriend has to evict me legally, am I right? Also if that is the case can the apartment managers make me move out with out being legally evicted?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

North carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No this is happening tonight she told me to get out due to an argument with my son. She called the police who came and said I did not have to leave on her order, but that she could have the apartment managers have me leave tomorrow without any legal action,

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I want the lawyer to know that if there is a defense I can meet with him and retain him tomorrow, I can do nothing tonight ans she has taken off with my wallet and I have no credit cards with me if he is local I can meet him and pay cash tonight to retain him

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/20/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
RealEstateAnswer
Good evening. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. If you are a named occupant on the lease , you have a legal right to stay. The only way to get you out would be to evict you and for that to happen, there needs to be a legal basis to support it. Without a legal basis you can remain and this is a civil issue, not criminal so the police should not get involved

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!