Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Is it typical for HOA members to have a yearly budget for…

Customer Question
Is it typical for...

Is it typical for HOA members to have a yearly budget for their office, with an undisclosed address, of $12,000 rent, $5,000 Nipsco, $1,000 phone bill, and a $36,000 administration fee?

Lawyer's Assistant: That depends on how many expert areas you want to subscribe to and how many questions a month you want to ask.

I am only asking about 1

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?

Indiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Not yet. First trying to find out if there is a case and misuse of funds.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just the answer to those questions.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/19/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Expert Justin, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Legal Expert Justin

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I'll be the Expert assisting you today. The HOA office is undisclosed? So you don't know the address of your own HOA? Have you talked to anyone on the HOA Board about these charges yet?

There is a PO box but they will not give the address to the actual office.

Did they state why they would not give the address? That does seem very odd. How many people are members of the HOA? Do you know if that HOA has a full time employee? Most of those charges sound reasonable except for the administration fee.

They state: they have an office" No I will not let you know where the office is. But if that amount of rent is typical than I will have to find another avenue.

I'm not sure what office rents are in Indiana, but $1,000 per month does not sound extreme. Do you know if they have an actual employee? If the 36k in administration fees is only for the expenses of the HOA Board members, that does seem quite high. There should be a provision in the HOA bylaws that would allow members to inspect the finances of the HOA Board. Have you looked through your bylaws for any such language?

Do you have any other questions today?

That is all, Thanks!

You are very welcome! I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 3, 4, or 5 star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.