Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I puchase a home, The seller agree to sell the home For

Customer Question
I puchase a home...

I puchase a home, The seller agree to sell the home For 100k. me buyer to pay closing. I agree to pay 105k out the door. This include closing. I made a contract at first Jackson bank for this loan. We never went over the details until the signing of the closing. After wards I ask the loan officier I was only suppose a pay out the door price of only 105k, he said that is what it was. A year later I Was looking at the contract I paid 105k plus closing which was not the agreement. I feel the Real estate agent and the Loan officer lied. The the loan was a balloon finaince deal. I have impectable credit when I I purchasing the home. Since then I refinaince with Qiuck and loans at 2.9%. I was cheated on the sale price and the loan. This was in Oct 2013 in Whitwell,Tn

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

TN

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

I have done nothing

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/19/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. This appears to be a case of fraudulent misrepresentation if they knew that the price was not going to be $105,000 even, but lead you intentionally to believe that it was. Basically, fraudulent misrepresentation is when someone intentionally makes material statement or makes a material omission that induces someone else to enter into an agreement. The other party can also be held liable for negligent misrepresentation if they state a fact that induces the other party to enter into an agreement without having reasonably checked on the accuracy of their statements. A fraudulent or negligent misrepresentation can lead to the rescindment of a contract in addition to a payment of damages to the other party who was misled.

There is one issue that I see here though: it's the issue that you signed the agreement. The court will presume that you had agreed to this amount and there are some rules that prohibit you from entering evidence of a separate agreement that was made at before, or around the time you signed the contract. Nonetheless, you may still have a cause of action for that additional $ that you had to pay.

There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract. It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court. This website is also pretty cool because they have some state-specific breach of contract forms that you can use as well. Click here to choose your state and get started.

What other questions did you have for me today?