Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I want to know if i can have legal acquisition of the home…

Customer Question
I want to know...

I want to know if i can have legal acquisition of the home we live in, as the owner is deceased and a previous resident says he is due monthly rental monies.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

We are in California.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not to my knowledge. When the owner died his sons were notified... One said he wanted nothing to do with things here and the other is dying in a mental hospital. The brother of the previous tenant was just here claiming we will pay rent or leave, but he has never owned the house.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The house is on 10 acres in the high desert. The structure is a double wide in really bad shape. The septic is overflowing, the floor, roof and ceiling have caved in in places, it is almost 40 years old and in places is riddled with black mold. Low on scale of curb appeal.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/18/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

The previous tenant has no legal grounds to do anything at all if he has no ownership interest..

.

As for the house if you pay the taxes on it for 5 years in a row before they become due and are not paying any rent to anyone, then you could claim legal ownership under "adverse possession" by filing a formal lawsuit called a "quiet title" action against the deceased owner's estate. If you meet those deadlines and have proof for the payment of taxes, then the judge would issue an order declaring you to be the legal owner of the house.

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much