Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My company is currently leasing an office in Orange, CA. We…

Customer Question
My company is currently...

My company is currently leasing an office in Orange, CA. We have been here since February 2009 and our current lease is until May 2019. We have found out the building has been sold and is in escrow. Colton Company, will not give us any information as to when we have to move. We are a Clinical Trials/Research medical facility and moving is extremely costly and requires a long process of documenting and notifying all patients. It is our understanding the new owners are going to replace our building with Apartments. How can we find out when we will have to move and does Colton Company have to compensate us for terminating the lease early?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

I don't know, they will not give us any information other than the building has been sold.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not yet

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/18/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 10 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

Actually, someone in your situation should not have to relocate before May 2019.

Unless your lease states that it is voided at sale (and I am going to assume the lease does not say that), the new owner steps into the shoes of the old owner and becomes the landlord. So they cannot evict you, but at the same time that have the right to collect the rent until the end of the lease.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

All I need is the name and phone number of a local Real estate Attorney. I want to make an appointment and meet with an attorney face to face.
Real Estate Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 9 months ago

My apologies for the wait. Unfortunately, JustAnswer experts cannot take cases from the site and we cannot recommend someone (due to ethical rules of the site).

What I can do is provide a trusted referral service near Orange, CA that can help you find someone. Will that work?