Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

New house. Water damage in basement. Developer refuses to

Customer Question
pay damages. Property in NH JA...
New house. Water damage in basement. Developer refuses to pay damages. Property in NH
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: NH
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: Invoiice given to developer
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Still getting some water in basement. Moved in community, over 55 individual condos
Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/18/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 27 days ago
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
What sort of damages are you seeking?
Did you get a written limited warranty with the new construction? Does it cover whatever is causing the water in the basement?
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
To pay invoice only. Not sure about the warranty. He paid another homeowner with same basement water damage and paid him a sem of $3000. So why not pay me for $8000. There are other expenses that I have not included.

If the water damage was caused by a construction defect then the builder is liable, assuming there is not a limited warranty floating around out there which excludes such damage.

Otherwise, if the builder will not cover the damages of their breach and pay the damages you demand then your recourse is to sue.

If there is a warranty then you will need to follow the procedures to make a claim under the warranty. Make you sure you follow those instructions to the letter, as a failure to do so could prejudice your claim.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 25 days ago

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Lawyer