Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have a question specifically about rent-stabilized

I have a question...

I have a question specifically about rent-stabilized regulations in New York and whether a landlord can break a lease if the term length of the rental is illegal.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

New York.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

A vacancy lease has been signed by the tenants but not the landlords yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I plan on pursuing a complaint of rent overcharge to the DHCR, but want to do so after the lease is signed by all parties. I'm worried that the (potentially illegal) rental term of 18 months might be a way for the landlord to invalidate the lease so they don't have to deal with troublesome tenants. Is this possible?

11/18/2017
Infolawyer, Lawyer
I am in NY. That term is not basis to rescind the lease UNLESS both sides agree. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
that answers my question. Am I allowed to ask a follow-up question (or is that a different service)? The obvious one: is an 18 month lease legal to offer in a rent-stabilized apartment? Everything I have read says the tenant is supposed to have the choice between one or two years, in the renewal and also in the vacancy lease.
Should be a year or two. 18 month if agreed to wont void it.
Would you kindly rate me five stars - that is the only way I get credit by the website. Thank you!
Infolawyer, Lawyer