Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

If I purchased a home with a land contract can a creditor…

Customer Question
If I purchased a...

If I purchased a home with a land contract can a creditor put a lien on it?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Not that i know of

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/18/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Olivia Kent,
 replied 8 months ago
Olivia Kent

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and doesn’t constitute not legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

ANSWER: No. A land contract home buyer's creditors can't place a lien on the home because the person doesn't actually hold the title to it. I hope that answers your question. If you don't need any additional information, could you please take a moment to check the box stating that I answered your question so that I receive credit for working with you. It doesn't cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. Sometimes people aren't aware that experts don't get any credit for the time and effort that we spend on our answers unless you rate it positively (3 or more stars - 5 is definitely appreciated!). If you have follow up questions I'd be happy to answer them as well. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your questions.

Real Estate Lawyer: Olivia Kent,
 replied 8 months ago

Alright my friend, I'm sorry I can't wait any longer for a response tonight. I will be back on tomorrow so if you have any additional questions or comments, I'd be happy to respond then.

Real Estate Lawyer: Olivia Kent,
 replied 7 months ago

Hello. Happy Thanksgiving! I wanted to follow up with you to see if you needed any additional information.