Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I just discovered that a rental property I own has asbestos…

I just discovered that a...
I just discovered that a rental property I own has asbestos in the attic, used as an insulation, can I sell the rental property without removing the asbestos?
11/18/2017
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer

Yes, under California law, you can sell the property without removing the asbestos, but you need to include it very clearly in your sale disclosures.

As to the renters, I would suggest you not rent the property, because the potential liability if the renters expose the asbestos and it becomes fryable (i.e., floating in the air) is greater than you will ever earn in rental income.

Please rate 4 or 5 stars and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
Thanks, ***** ***** have more questions. First I think it best that I advise the renters about the situation and ask them if they want to buy it.

Right. Let me know what other questions you have. Please write "FOR WISE OWL ONLY" and I will respond right away. You can request me to answer or we can do it on phone.

Thank you.

You're welcome