Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Seller is pushing for cancellation because Buyer could not…

Customer Question
Seller is pushing for...

Seller is pushing for cancellation because Buyer could not close on Contract Closing date. Buyer could not close because Seller produced a water test 14 days latter then what was stated in the contract, which held final underwriting approval up. Buyer does not want to cancel

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Minnesota

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Not with the Courts

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They also would not allow the appraiser access to the attic which is required for the type of loan they agreed to

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/17/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Richard, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Richard, Lawyer

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good evening. The seller is not going to be able to legally terminate the contract because the seller is not going to be able to benefit from a delay caused by the seller. In other words, a seller cannot benefit from the seller's own bad acts. The buyer should put the seller on formal written notice that buyer is not accepting of the seller's attempt to cancel and if seller does not agree to close within a short specified period of time, buyer will file suit for specific performance and any damages incurred by buyer and file a lis pendens on the property to prevent the seller from selliong it to someone else while the suit is being adjudicated. The letter is typically all you need, but if it doesn't convence the seller, buyer should file the suit and the lis pendens.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!