Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I own farm ground in mound city, mo. where a adjoining

Customer Question
I own farm ground...

I own farm ground in mound city, mo. where a adjoining farmer planted a crop on my ground and did not pay me land lease . he also put a road on my land without my knowledge or consent. I lice in the state of Oregon, not in Missouri.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

In Missouri.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No, none

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/17/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks so much for your patience. This appears to be a case of trespass to land. Trespass to land means that someone has entered onto your land without your consent. The usual measure of damages are typically an ejectment from the land or for them to pay the reasonable rental value for the land.

You may want to consider just writing a formal demand letter to the other party advising them that they must leave or risk a lawsuit. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

What other questions did you have for me?